September 28, 2015

What Kind of Christian Are You?


Fall is my favorite time of year.

So I hit the trails at Mammoth Cave National Park yesterday.

Autumn was all around. Fall flowers were in full blossom. The foliage was changing. Squirrels were busy preparing for winter. Birds were singing about how much they love this time of year. The temperature and weather were just so right. It reminded me of why I love living in Kentucky.

The middle of the path was decorated by different species of gorgeous fall flowers. Like the one seen above. The flowers were out of place, but I thought it only highlighted their splendor.

And then it hit me.

Jesus' words fell into my heart.

My favorite parable.

"A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop--a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. He who has ears, let him hear." (Matthew 13:3-9, NIV. Emphasis mine.)

Within yards of the first flowers, I saw this one.

Not nearly as pretty.

I knew that all the flowers on the path would share the same fate. They didn't have long to live. It didn't matter how beautiful they were. All of them would be scorched and would whither because they had no root.

Jesus went on to explain the parable to his slow-witted disciples.

I began wondering what kind of soil I am.

Do you ever wonder what kind of Christian you are?

My fear is that I'll become like the seed that fell on the rocky places. Although, I'm probably more likely to become like the soil where the seed fell among the thorns. Worries and pleasures of life can be attractive to the believer.

My prayer and desire is to be the good soil that produces a crop. That is probably your prayer, too.

Do a quick check to see what kind of soil you are. Spend some time reading Matthew 13:1-23 or Luke 8:1-15 for yourself.

Does it even matter? Can you change the type of soil you are?

Ironically, I was in a prairie restoration site where the land had been changed back to its original likeness. Why? The National Parks Service says, "The goal of ecosystem restoration is not to replace a static picture of the past. Instead, the National Park Service works to remove the barriers to ecosystem recovery."

Perhaps you can't change the type of soil you are, but the Holy Spirit can.

After you reflect, if you don't like what you see, pray that the Holy Spirit guides you into the necessary changes you need to make. These changes aren't so that you can reclaim a static picture of the past or that of being a "good" Christian. Rather the changes are so that barriers can be removed and recovery can take place in your heart and soul.

No comments: