October 19, 2012

Church Coffee

Has your cup of coffee ever spoke to you?

I purchased this cup of java at Quills Coffee Company in Louisville. I don't think the barista was trying telling me something. I think the coffee was.

We love coffee and coffee loves us.

Coffee is a legal drug that makes everything just a little bit better. How? Well, it's amazing how you can enjoy life when you are awake. I don't feel too guilty about being dependent on coffee. Since it's my unprescribed, over the scanner drug that allows me to wake up at five every morning to spend time with God.

Not only that but my church serves coffee every time the doors are open. The church is my enabler where I get my free fix. We leave eight large coffee dispensers unsupervised in our foyer. The kids loves this, because if they can reach it...it's our philosophy, they are mature enough to drink it. Don't worry, they start off small by taking creamer shots.

You can even take your coffee fix inside the sanctuary with you as long as you have a lid on it (which we also provide). The church leadership team must have caught on that coffee makes everything better early on. Worship is just better when everyone is jacked up on caffeine. The preaching is always more powerful to the listener when they are awake. Guest feel loved on and comfortable with fresh brew in their hands.

I have no Scriptural backing on this, but I think the Holy Spirit is even attracted to worship services that encourage church worship coffee drinking. Why? Every church that I visit that provides coffee to take into the service is growing like crazy! One can provide a lot of arguments (and all more valid than I have) but I think it's because the Holy Spirit likes to hover around groups of people who drink large quantities of coffee. People who drink coffee are just move fun. It's an unproven fact!

Question:
How does coffee help you grow closer to God?


2 comments:

Mike Allen said...

Just need to replace the coffee with "Diet Dew" - I bet the growth would explode! Quick search of the scriptures seems to confirm?!?

“May the LORD bless his land with the precious DEW from heaven" (Deuteronomy 33)

"Let him be drenched with the DEW of heaven" (Daniel4)

Unknown said...

I stand corrected!

With the Word guiding our churches' choice of beverage, every church could be crammed packed of people on a Holy Spirit/caffeine high. Send the Dew with missionaries and there's no telling what could happen. Maybe even get grape flavored Dew for communion.

Nice Mike! You made me laugh out loud this morning! Thanks!