October 1, 2012

What's Your Set Default?

Do you have a default website?

A website that you find yourself going to all the time either consciously or just because your phalanges touch the keyboard? You know you do. You go to Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest (and no, I do not have an account), and the most righteous go Christian Gravy one hundred times a day.

My default website is ESPN.

Fifteen times a day I find myself there and sometimes I have no clue how I even arrived. I wake up mid-trance with slobber running down my cheek. It can be scary like when you are driving somewhere late at night and then you don't remember any of the trip.

All day long I'm checking sporting news to find out who was traded, who was fired, who Tony Romo is dating, or performing my duties as General Manager/Coach of my Fantasy teams. What's  most puzzling though is that I really don't even care about sports that much anymore. It's just I have a few minutes and so I default to the site.

I have notice that I approach the Bible in the same way. Do you have a default book in the Bible?

Mine is Psalms.

Once it was the Song of Solomon but the wife got tired of the come on lines (50 Shades of Grey has nothing on David's boy). So I had to change it.

If the snooze button wins the battle and have just a little time to read the Bible, I go shotgun style and blast open the book of Psalms and the Holy Spirit conveniently guides me to a short one.

Or what about the dreadful next book? You know when you finish a book in the Bible and you don't have a clue what to read next. You might be more holy than me, but this really annoys me. Before I know it, my time is gone, so what is a brother to do? You got it, find a Psalm to get your holy on.

The best thing about Psalms is they can all be read as prayers, so you kill two birds with one stone. Try singing it and that almost counts as a church service as long as it isn't on a Sunday, but who reads the Bible before church anyways?

Question:
What is your default book?

No comments: