November 21, 2012

Are You a "BC Christian"?

Something I've always hated are Bible covers.

I'm a pretty simple guy, who enjoys simple things. It's not that the zipper stumps me. But it's the design that I hate. It's like the companies tried to make the Bible more functional and fashionable. It's basically a snuggie for your Bible. 

Christians, friends don't let friends use Bible covers.

Preferred and Stylish? Probably not.
But after observing "Bible Cover Christians" for some time (known henceforth as BC Christians), I've noticed a common pattern. I bring my Bible almost every week to church, but I rarely open it. A BC Christian rips open their Bible (like a kid at Christmas) when the pastor takes the stage and they always have a multicolored pen in hand.

Two theories come to mind about them:

1) BC Christians are more attentive to the sermon (most plausible) or

2) the cover has become a "cover" for another form of distraction.

Most BC Christians don't even really have a Bible in the case, but rather magazines, another book like 50 Shades of Grey, a mole skin, Sudoku, cross-word puzzles, word-finds, the Sunday paper, a television, or a small pet of some sort. 

Sorry BC Christians, but the gig is up! Don't show this to your pastor or they will be banned.

But the problem is now I want one for Christmas, so that I can cheat in the service too. I want it on the record that I feel this is a Crappy Christian Christmas Gift. But to all the BC Christians out there, we can still be friends (that is if you still want to be my friend).
 
There is a Bible cover for every walk of life. So let me make a few suggestions, if you need a Christmas idea for that special someone:

For the Sexy Man of God
For the Teenage Rebel Christian

For the Princess Christian Girl

For the Sophisticated Young Woman

Question:
What's your history with BC Christians?

2 comments:

Sherry Arritt said...

My daughter bought me a large print Bible for Christmas a few years ago and it is thick and heavy with a soft cover. She was on a tight budget, so she bought what she could afford. She made a cover with handles sewn in. She designed it herself and I am proud to carry it and when complimented on it, I tell them, my daughter made it.

Unknown said...

Sherry,

Did your daughter mix three things that stress me out? Bible covers, Pinterest, and a trip to Hobby Lobby?

Most definitely a cool and thoughtful gift from your daughter. Just don't let your pastor find you with a magazine instead of the Bible inside :o). Thanks for reading and sharing Sherry!